[Chugalug] gedit vs geany

David Ingram david at clevelandlibrary.org
Wed Dec 19 14:50:09 UTC 2012

I have recently been reading a good book about vim called Practical Vim. If
you want to make the investment in time it will pay dividends. Sublime also
has a vim mode for converts as well. For HTML and CSS I am using sublime
because out of the box it is setup for that kind of work. Vim can most
certainly replicate that, but there is effort required.

+1 to all who said you should at least learn the basics of vim (insert mode
and how to save files), it is a must for command line work where you have
no choice of editors.

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 6:25 AM, Adam Jimerson <vendion at gmail.com> wrote:

> You could also go the Jeff Dean,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Dean_(computer_scientist) route:
>
>     Jeff Dean escews both Emacs and VI. He types his code into zcat,
> because it's faster that way.
>

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 6:20 AM, Adam Jimerson <vendion at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> To help learn vim it ships with a teaching aid, vimtutor, that teaching
>> the basics (quiting, saving, movement via hjkl, moving by jumping, find,
>> find and replace) as well as some more advanced, and very useful, actions
>> (jump forward/backwards x number of words, jump to end of line, jump
>> to beginning of line, jump to the first character on the line) etc.  There
>> is also a browser based game to help learn how to use vim (
>> http://vim-adventures.com/), they have the first level free to play then
>> it is about $10 for the rest of the levels
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 7:31 PM, DaWorm <daworm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I still haven't figured out how to exit vim when some evil app makes it
>>> it's default configuration editor, much less use it to edit something.  It
>>> may be the greatest editor of all time, but the learning curve isn't so
>>> much of a curve as an insurmountable cliff.  By the time I could figure out
>>> how to do something simple in it, I could download and try 20 other
>>> editors.  Of course I can't understand regex either, which may be related.
>>> My brain isn't quite that symbolic.  Looks like someone hit random number
>>> keys with the shift stuck to me.

David Ingram, Technology Coordinator
Cleveland Bradley County Public  Library

795 Church Street NE
Cleveland, TN 37311
423.472.2163  x127

http://www.clevelandlibrary.org