[Chugalug] gedit vs geany

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Dec 19 10:08:20 UTC 2012

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012, Sean Brewer wrote:
> vim.
> I have heard good things about sublime text 2. I spend too much time in the terminal to think about switching, though.

Sean nailed it: Time in the terminal.

There used to be a couple of editors that let you run a "deamon" on a
server, that tied to a GUI editor on your desktop, so you could edit text
in a GUI but were editing files live on a server (or almost live, saved on
the server without FTP, etc..) and worked on fairly low bandwidth
connections.  Doing it via SSH and SFTP is possible as well, syncing local
copies to a server... but it seems that when you are usually already
shelled in, the logical thing to do is to use an editor that works while
you are in the terminal.

And if you aren't spending time in a shell on Linux, you are missing the
really beautiful part of a *nix machine, the ability to get very very
close to the internals.

Choose and use and become proficient on an editor you can use while
shelled in.. and then use a GUI when it is appropriate and understand the
differences. Need to fix a line or two of code, a config file..
a terminal editor wins hands down. For other things, you have choices.