[Chugalug] gedit vs geany

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Wed Dec 19 04:39:31 UTC 2012

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 19:31:01 -0500
DaWorm <daworm at gmail.com> wrote:
> I still haven't figured out how to exit vim when some evil app makes
> it it's default configuration editor, much less use it to edit
> something.

I'm not a vim fan, but I've found it quite worthwhile to learn the
basics of getting around in vi, because often that's the only editor
available on a platform. Especially if you're doing embedded work, or
admin stuff on machines run by total bastards (and if you've hung out
with many sysops, you know that's most of them).

Personally, I'm glad to have settled on emacs years ago: At the time it
was a total resource hog, but I just looked at the memory consumption
on a machine I was working on, and an active Emacs session was only
taking twice the memory of freakin' procmail.

> It may be the greatest editor of all time, but the
> learning curve isn't so much of a curve as an insurmountable cliff.
> By the time I could figure out how to do something simple in it, I
> could download and try 20 other editors.  Of course I can't
> understand regex either, which may be related.

Totally understand that. vim (and emacs) are raw tools, like an angle
grinder without the safety guards.

(And, yes, that tool comes up because I've been using one to shape an
electric guitar body; it scares the crap out of the teenager I'm
building this beast with, but has such amazing capabilities in the
right hands...)

Dan