[Chugalug] ot: phosophrus was Re: Richard Stallman and open source

Bret McHone dbmchone at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 19:13:04 UTC 2012

I don't care about the 7 billion, just the few dozen in my family I care
about and we know how to take care of ourselves. ;)

The thing is there are lots of ways to add fertility to the soil like cover
crops after harvest, field and crop rotation, burning, composting, etc... I
generally go to farmers markets whenever I need something that's currently
in season and ran into a fellow who was happy to give me a few pointers. He
told me that he had very poor soil and couldn't grow much because of the
heavy clay content but he had a couple seasons in one field where he just
planted winter rye, used a flail mower to chop it up and tilled it into the
soil and now his soil is awesome. He had the beautiful plants to back it
up. He went on to tell me theories on organic gardening which was pretty
fascinating.

I think phosphorus shortages may change the way things are done and may
reduce the scale at which commercial farming can be done as we know it, but
I don't think it will cause global starvation. Necessity becomes the mother
of invention and I have faith in mankind finding a way.

Though I'm definitely not saying it would not have an impact on food
supplies, I just don't think it will be at the scale they say.

-B