[Chugalug] Richard Stallman and open source

DaWorm daworm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 23:51:56 UTC 2012

> But, if I choose to LICENSE my code -- make it conditionally available --
you would say I have no right to do so? I'm limited to all or nothing,
accordingly to you? WTF?

I believe Chad is saying that according to Stallman, you should not be
allowed to "LICENSE" your code in the first place.  You should be required
to make it completely and totally free.  At the same time, neither should
Chad be allowed sell a product without giving away the code, whether he
wrote it himself or copied it from you.  Under RMS's vision of the world,
there should be no software that the source isn't freely available and
freely modifiable, no matter where it came from.

Can't say I agree with that view of the world.  In that world, the only
time anyone would ever get paid for writing software would be by the first
person/company that wanted that software.  No one else would ever have need
to pay for it again.  Maybe for documentation or support or even bug fixes
if the need is great enough and you can't wait for someone else to pay to
have it fixed, but not for the software itself.

Not sure I could make a living in that world.

Jeff.