[Chugalug] Richard Stallman and open source

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 23:50:26 UTC 2012

Advertising, physical media, compilation of resources, awareness of the
product itself, gathering documentation...  Not everyone has broadband,
even today - much less however many years ago that was.  So they could buy
a CD, or spend a week downloading things over dial-up, and hope no one
calls during that time, or that AOL doesn't just crap out on them.

I designed labels for it, and wrote an installer screen that would walk
people through what was on the disc and linked to the install files on the
CD itself, as well as online documentation.

I also discussed that with the leadership of the OpenOffice.org team, as
well as the mailing lists, before I did it.  I didn't violate any laws or
any licenses.

There were, and probably still are, companies that box and sell open source
software in Big Box stores.  Sometimes rebranded, sometimes not.  I was
doing the same thing they did.

I did, however, violate an ebay rule that I did not know about - you cannot
sell burned CDs at all.  Even if they are recordings of original music that
you yourself wrote and performed - or software that you yourself coded from
scratch.  I did not know that rule existed at the time - and since learning
about it - I have not sold any CDs or DVDs on ebay since.

*- Chad W. Smith*