[Chugalug] Richard Stallman and open source

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 19:55:06 UTC 2012

If you share the code, then yes.

If you choose to share the code with the world - then I should be able to
take that code - change it all or not one bit of data - lock it up, and
sell it.

The thing is - your free code will still be out there.  Free.  So I would
be competing with a no-cost alternative.  If I did not add something of
value to it (and that value may only be in branding or advertising) - then
it will not sell.  That is how the free market works.

If you do not choose to share the code - then I have no right to do what
you claimed.  Not under current law.

The bogey-man of force you refer to is the desire of RMS.  If you want
everything to be open source, and believe anything short of your personal
definition of open...er um.. "Free" ... is inherently and demonstratively
EVIL - then your desire is that all software was free/open/libre....  And
that would mean no programmer would have the choice to do otherwise.  Call
that force if you want to. His views limit choice - they, in fact, limit
freedom.  If he was given the power/authority to impose his views on
others, consumer and programmer choice would suffer.  Innovation would
suffer.  If you take away the incentive of money, then the motivation to
work is decreased.

*- Chad W. Smith*