[Chugalug] Richard Stallman and open source

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 05:55:26 UTC 2012

And the fact that you like him doesn't mean we should accept his views.

Nobody has given any reason to listen to him.  He wrote some stuff back in
the 70s and shared it?  Great!  So did thousands of other programmers.

Agree with him, don't agree with him - that's up to you.  The man gets far
more credit than he deserves, and he works hard to make sure that happens.

He tries to set himself up as Tesla to Linus' Edison (as in the Internet's
belief that Tesla was the brains and Edison just took credit for it) - or
Wozniak to Linus' Jobs - but he's not worth comparing to any one of those 4
guys.

Has he done more to advance computers than I have?  Absolutely.  I haven't
written a single line of code other than webpages.

Does what he's done mean everyone should give a flying fart what he thinks
about stuff?  Nope...

*- Chad W. Smith*