[Chugalug] Richard Stallman and open source

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 04:55:16 UTC 2012

He is a freak - a creep - a weirdo - and an extremist.

I readily admitted that I do not like him as a person.

Now - what views of his do I disagree with?  That open source is the only
way to go.  That without open source the world's data would be locked up in
the control a few corporations.  That he himself did more for Linux than
Linus.  That "what people refer to as Linux is really GNU".  That people
should listen to him at all about anything.

Before there was an OpenOffice.org or an AbiWord - there were tons of
for-profit, closed-source programs that could open Microsoft Office
documents.  And there still are.

As long as there is a need for people to have access to their data, there
will be a market for it.  If there is a market for it, then someone with
the skills to make it happen and/or the drive to make it happen will...
make it happen.

No one has to give away their time, talents, and creativity.  I am glad
that they do - and grateful, but it is not a "need" - it is not a necessity
nor an imperative. It is a nice thing.  It is a cool thing.  But it is not
a need thing.

I don't believe in software patents.  I don't even actually agree with
copyrights at all.  But I also don't believe anyone should have to be
forced to share what they've done, what they've created if they don't want
to.  You can write a piece of software, and sell it, and make it hard to
copy without permission - without a copyright.  And you can share your
software freely, if you choose to - without sharing the source code.
 Freeware, Shareware, Trialware... these things have existed for decades.

*- Chad W. Smith*