[Chugalug] Newly realized benefit to forum spam

Billy flushy at flushy.net
Fri Dec 14 01:32:34 UTC 2012

So it occurred to me tonight while deleting the gobs of management email from my forum site that the spam serves a good purpose.

Perhaps, it's just me trying to ad something positive to the experience, but:

Forum moderator confirmation emails provide the unexpected ability to determine web site health.

That's right, with every confirmation I delete regarding new users for the forum, I have a timeline log of website uptime. Not just the network connectivity, but the entire application pipeline: apache, php, MySQL, an email.

My website appears pretty healthy.

--b