[Chugalug] Richard Stallman and open source

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 21:35:44 UTC 2012

He hasn't forced anyone to do anything, that I am aware of.

What you seem to be referring to is where I was responding to someone
claiming that i had made Dick into a Bond Villian.

Here is the entire quote of my response.

"I was thinking more along the lines of a villain to some bizarro-world
version of Captain Planet. Where instead of Captain Planet promoting
Environmentalism, it was Captain Free Market promoting Libertarianism.
 Dick Stallman would be one of the over-the-top cartoon
Marxist Fascist villain who would fit in perfectly in that universe.

Spewing 1984 double-speak promoting of "Freedom" whilst forcing everyone to
obey the almighty GPL 3.0 (which is preparing the way for the GPL 4.0 -
"Thou shalt do all thy programming for free, and allow everyone to have
access to everything you've ever created on demand and at no cost in
whatever format they desire.")

Here, he's just crazy."

In case you can't follow it, in the first paragraph I set it up, explaining
that I do not view him as a Bond villain, but a cartoon villain.  As if
from some non-existant cartoon promoting the Free Market.  "In that
universe" as I end the first paragraph, he would do the following things
outlined in the second paragraph. Claiming to promote freedom but only
giving slavery (which is what it is called when you have to work for no pay
against your will).

I then revert back to reality in the 3rd and final paragraph, where I begin
by saying "Here" as opposed to the "in that universe" that I had been
describing for the rest of the email, "he's just crazy".

Here he does not force anyone to do anything, because he lacks the power to
do so.  But as I have seen first hand, he would do so if given the power.
 By making wild claims against projects that he doesn't agree with, (like
calling one of the most popular version of desktop linux "Spyware") and
making demands of other projects (like telling OpenOffice.org how to run
their website) - it is clear that he wants everyone to bow to his wishes.

And I'd like to quote this gem from the Chugalug archives circa 2009
*/NOTE/* this was not posted by me, I can neither confirm nor deny the
validity of these claims.

===QUOTE===
I cannot fathom how the whole Stallman worship thing started.

He picks his toe jam in the middle of lectures and ponders in earnest
if "consentual pedophilia really harms children"

Why is this man on a lecture circuit?

They may as well send clowns, the beared lady and a few elephants with him
so
they can have a proper circus.

Eccentricities aside, all I see is a legacy text editor, an aging toolkit,
hijack attempts on Linux as Hurd pretty much died on the vine and a naive
and
ultimately unworkable philosophy.

As far as I am concerned, he's done more damage to Open Source than
Microsoft
ever could.

If we could have a community more in-line with the BSD folk, I'd be a happy
camper.

===END QUOTE===

*- Chad W. Smith*