[Chugalug] Richard Stallman and open source

Stephen Kraus ub3ratl4sf00 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 21:14:50 UTC 2012

Oh, you know, all the views and work he did to recieve all these accolades:

Stallman has received the following recognition for his work:

   - 1986: Honorary lifetime membership of the Chalmers University of
   Technology<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalmers_University_of_Technology>
Computer
   Society [97]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-CUT-97>
   - 1990: Exceptional merit award MacArthur
Fellowship<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacArthur_Fellowship> ("genius
   grant")[98] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-98>
   - 1990: The Association for Computing
Machinery<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_for_Computing_Machinery>
   's Grace Murray Hopper
Award<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Murray_Hopper_Award> "For
   pioneering work in the development of the extensible editor EMACS (Editing
   Macros)."[99]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-99>
   - 1996: Honorary doctorate<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorary_doctorate>
    from Sweden <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden>'s Royal Institute of
   Technology <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Institute_of_Technology>
   [100] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-100>
   - 1998: Electronic Frontier
Foundation<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Frontier_Foundation>
   's Pioneer award <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFF_Pioneer_Award>
[101]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-101>
   - 1999: Yuri Rubinsky Memorial
Award<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Rubinsky_Memorial_Award>
    [102] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-102>
   - 2001: The Takeda Techno-Entrepreneurship Award for Social/Economic
   Well-Being <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeda_Awards>
(武田研究奨励賞)[103]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-103>
   - 2001: Honorary doctorate, from the University of
Glasgow<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Glasgow>
    [104] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-104>
   - 2002: United States National Academy of
Engineering<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_National_Academy_of_Engineering>
    membership [105]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-105>
   - 2003: Honorary doctorate, from the Vrije Universiteit
Brussel<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vrije_Universiteit_Brussel>
   [106] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-106>
   - 2004: Honorary doctorate, from the Universidad Nacional de
Salta<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universidad_Nacional_de_Salta>
   .[107] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-107>
   - 2004: Honorary professorship, from the Universidad Nacional de
   Ingeniería del
Perú<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_University_of_Engineering>
   .[108] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-UNI-108>
   - 2007: Honorary professorship, from the Universidad Inca Garcilaso de
   la Vega <http://www.uigv.edu.pe/>.[109]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-UIGV-109>
   - 2007: First Premio Internacional Extremadura al Conocimiento
Libre[110]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-110>
   - 2007: Honorary doctorate, from the Universidad de Los Angeles de
   Chimbote <http://www.uladech.edu.pe/>.[*citation
needed<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>
   *]
   - 2007: Honorary doctorate, from the University of
Pavia<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Pavia>
    [111] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-111>
   - 2008: Honorary doctorate from the Universidad Nacional de
Trujillo<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universidad_Nacional_de_Trujillo>,
   in Peru[*citation
needed<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>
   *]
   - 2009: Honorary doctorate, from Lakehead
University<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakehead_University>
    [112] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-112>[113]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-113>
   - 2011: Honorary doctorate, from National University of
Córdoba<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_University_of_C%C3%B3rdoba>
   .[114] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#cite_note-114>

I don't care what you think of the man, or if you disagree with SOME of the
things he says. The fact remains he has done more than anyone I know for
Open Source and GNU, and despite his inflammatory sense of expressing his
views, they are held as golden by many of those who are leaders in the
computing field.