[Chugalug] Linux removes support for 386

Sean Brewer seabre986 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 04:13:41 UTC 2012

Radiation hardened ones, yes.

Radiation hardened processors are super expensive to develop and
manufacture. Pretty much no one could afford to build a current generation
rad-hard processor.

The RAD750, which is just a rad-hardened PowerPC 750, is used in the
Curiosity rover that landed on Mars back in August. It has two of them with
one acting as a backup. They cost about $200,000 each.

Yes, you can land on Mars with just 200MHz of processing power.