[Chugalug] Linux removes support for 386

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 02:58:34 UTC 2012

But WHY?!?!?

The 486 came out in 1989.  NINETEEN EIGHTY-NINE.  That means before the
1990s even started, the 386 was outdated and replaced.  This is over 20
years after that.  Our $8.99 prepaid cell phones have more processing power
than that.  It would have to be more expensive to run a 386 for a month
than to buy a brand new system with more power.  There are $50 tablets with
more power - and they have WiFi, a touchscreen, and a battery.

So even saying "I already have this system" doesn't mean you are actually
saving money by using it.  An order-of-magnitudes more powerful system that
takes less electricity to run would save you money in the long term.  And
by "long term" I mean a few weeks.

*- Chad W. Smith*