[Chugalug] Richard Stallman and open source

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 21:05:17 UTC 2012

You can make money on free/freedom/no-cost software.  You charge for
documentation, installation, physical copies, (which include packaging,
shipping, handling, and materials), support, seminars, training, non-free
add-ons, plug-ins, templates, extensions...

You make a free version that is bare-bones, and then add stuff in for a
non-free "upgrade"...

There are lots of ways.  Put ads in it.  Yes, if the code is free, it could
be stripped out, but a lot of people don't know how to code, or compile.

None of the above is nearly as easy or straightforward as charging for the
software, of course.
*
*
*- Chad W. Smith*