[Chugalug] Richard Stallman and open source

Bret McHone dbmchone at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 20:03:37 UTC 2012

Ran across this one with another search. I think some of the comments below
the video of the interview with stallman are worth reading as well.

"You see, I make software for most of my living.  And I talked with
Stallman (in email) before the show, about how I would love to get any
ideas he has on how a developer, of proprietary software, can move that
software to a Free and Open license... while still keeping food on the
table for his family.  From a practical standpoint."

http://lunduke.com/?p=2273

I still don't like the guy in any shape, way, form or fassion and still
think he's a nut case, but I am impressed by his dedication to his cause.

I mean, look at how he browses the web.. Taken directly from his site:
"I have several free web browsers on my laptop, but I generally do not look
at web sites from my own machine, aside from a few sites operated for or by
the GNU Project, FSF or me. I fetch web pages from other sites by sending
mail to a program (see git://git.gnu.org/womb/hacks.git) that fetches them,
much like wget, and then mails them back to me. Then I look at them using a
web browser, unless it is easy to see the text in the HTML page directly."

By the way, Thanks to everyone who's posted to this thread. It's funny how
polarizing this guy really is.

-B