[Chugalug] Richard Stallman and open source

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 17:59:28 UTC 2012

My issue is with *him* as a person.

I don't like him.  I don't like his personality, I don't like his
arrogance, I don't like his self-promotion.  So, yes, I don't like his tone.

He is a megalomanic, a narcissist, an idiot (when it comes to dealing with
human beings), and a jerk.

He believes everyone should do things the way HE thinks that they should be
done.  That all software should be his definition of "Free Software®™©".
 That's not freedom - that's the opposite of freedom.  If programmers don't
have the choice to NOT give away their software - to NOT share their code
... then they are not free.  The software may be free - but the programmer
is not.

I like open source software.  I use open source software.  I have promoted
and supported open source software - with my time, my voice, and my
dollars.  I believe that there are good things about open source software.

I am one of those people who promote the pragmatic side of it.  Many hands
make light work, many eyes make bugs small (and few)....  I also understand
the pitfalls of having data locked in some proprietary format that you
don't have control over and could potentially lose access.  Anyone who has
ever had to design anything in Publisher and doesn't always have access to
a Windows machine knows that fear.

It especially pisses me off when he attacks people who are actively
developing, promoting, and encouraging open source software because they
are not "Free Enough".  These people are on your side, idiot.  Stop
shooting your allies.

But it's not an all-or-nothing thing.  It's not even an "us vs. them".
 It's not just that open source isn't the enemy of "Free Software®™©"
and proprietary software is. Why does there have to be an "enemy" at all?

Just do your thing and let other people do theirs.  If you want to explain
the benefits of your way of doing things, fine - but don't claim that doing
things any other way is evil.

If you want to promote Free Software as the best way - fine. Do not claim
it is the only way.  Because it's not.

*- Chad W. Smith*