[Chugalug] Richard Stallman and open source

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 00:11:50 UTC 2012

No - because he is a raving lunatic.

You can have all the opinions-that-I-don't-agree-with that you want, but
when you show up, uninvited, to someone else's project and start making
demands that people bow to your opinion because of something you helped do
30 years ago, then you are a crazy person.

I believe someone else would have written the software eventually.  I mean
look at all the not-written-by-Dick software there is now.

The idea that someone else would have done it pretty much the same way at
the same general time actually has real-world evidence of happening.  The
telephone is a pretty obvious and probably overused example.  Bell just
beat some other dude to the patent office by a couple of days.

But, yes, Linus Torvald, specifically, had all the motivation he needed to
write those apps himself, or to inspire people around him to help write
them, whatever.

Regardless of if anyone else would have ever done what Dick did or not is
irrelevant.  Having a good idea once in your life, or doing something cool
and helpful once in your life doesn't mean you are above question nor that
your opinions are more correct or important than anyone else's.  If I saved
a basket of kittens from drowning back in 1987 that wouldn't mean you
should put me in charge of your company's finances in 2012 - even if you
make floating kitten baskets.

Also having principles and sticking to them is only as good as the
principles you hold.  Racism is a principle, and holding to it is not a
good thing.  "You only get what you pay for" is a principle, and people
stick to it to the damage of open source software.

And yes, I said "open source" not free, because I'm not a crazy person.

*- Chad W. Smith*