[Chugalug] Richard Stallman and open source

JonathanCalloway jonathancalloway at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 13:59:24 UTC 2012

I think his contributions to open source from a conceptual and philosophical point of view were, and are good and valid for the most part. However, his problem is that he has extended that philosophy to life, and turned it in to a worldview, rather than merely a simple set of philosophical principals around software development. That is where he went off the rails, and what turned him into a crazy person.

When you get to the point where you won't use any computer except some vague obscure manufacturer because the BIOS isn't open enough for you ,or you can't take a subway because the software they use doesn't meet your requirements for 'freedom', you've gone a bit too far. . . .

Just my tow cents. . . .

<JC>