[Chugalug] Android tablets

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Dec 5 09:58:04 UTC 2012

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, Chad Smith wrote:
> Oh, well that's cool then.  The Transformer docking idea is very cool.
> Actually, looking more closely at the Walmart one, it doesn't seem like a bad deal.  I just really want a 7" model.
> I ordered a Motorola 10.1" Lapdock for $40 and I'm going to get some cables to use it with my existing stuff as well as whatever more up-to-date tablet I end up getting.

My Asus transformer prime has become a goto device for skype, SIP/Voip
calls, and gtalk. It's a great PDF viewer and doc/email reader when using
my laptop.. Nice extra screen. The attached keyboard gives it some insane
battery life, makes a nice stand, and allows me to use it as a laptop for
SSHing and some other things.

Complaints: Everyone that plays with it her in S. Africa threatens to
steal it from me. The stores here (which are nice) are about a year behind
the US in models..

We've compared it to some of the cheap chinese junk a few of the other
dev's here are playing with... it's in a different class. Fantastic
screen, bright enough to use outdoors.

Every iPad and tablet I see except these has some funky plastic cover on
them with or without a rubber keyboard. My Asus has a great fitting screen
cover with keyboard, extra battery life, USB and SD slots.. and closed up
it is fairly idiot proof.

My only design/hwardware complaint: If I could flip the screen around
and close it, to hold the keyboard underneath better as a tablet, it would
be awesome. Sometimes, in tablet mode, I need a place to stash the
keyboard.

Android complaints: I've spent a few bucks on apps and games,
The few apps I have purchased have been worth the couple of bucks..
World of Goo is wonderful, the rest, honestly, so far, suck.
They are revenue creation engines with a pavlovian spend more money hook,
not games.