[Chugalug] Android tablets

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 21:09:15 UTC 2012

I'll add a nickel.

I don't know what this "30-pin to USB connector" is - but it sounds like
it's trying to be an iPad.

For a list dedicated to openness and anti-proprietary-ness I am amazed how
much "Buy the more-expensive bastardized vendor-lock-in version" talk I
hear when it comes to tablets.

I am currently searching for the right tablet myself - as my old one was
broken my an unfortunate "I'll fix it by brute force" incident with its
idiot owner.

As always - ask yourself what you want the device for.  Do you need GPS?
 Do you want expandable storage?  Do you plan on using video out?  Do you
want to hook USB devices into it?  What size do you want?

It seems, since you picked a 9.7" one that a Kindle Fire would not be a
good fit for you (nor would the other more popular $200 models - the Nexus
7 or the Nook).

Here's a 10.1 inch Quad-core ICS tablet with BlueTooth, HDMI-out, 8 GB,
USB-host/OTG, dual cameras, TF Card slot, 1024 x 600 for $180.

http://lightake.com/detail.do/sku.Zenithink_C94_Quad_Core_Android_4.1_10.1_Inch_GPS_Tablet_PC_Freescale_IMX6Q_1.2GHz_Bluetooth_8GB-58495

here's a dual-core one with pretty much the same stuff but no bluetooth and
only 4GB for $170 - from an American seller (if that makes a difference to
you - the shipping would be faster for sure).

http://www.buy.com/prod/sungale-10-1-tablet-cortex-a9-oap-4-1-0ghz-4gb-storage-microsdhc-card/230236307.html

I'm trying to find something with pretty much everything.  GPS, Bluetooth,
HDMI, TF, Dual-core (at least - quad if possible), USB-Host/OTG, in a 7"
tablet.  I find a lot of tablets that have some if not most of those
features, but finding them all in one product is proving difficult.

*- Chad W. Smith*